Hi! I'm Jon, and I am a Certified Chi Running and Chi Walking instructor. I have a holistic philosophy towards journeying in the great outdoors. I am passionate about running and walking, especially off road and hilly. I love our National Parks and believe beautiful, inspiring places are also the best places to learn, which is one of the reasons I teach primarily close to the Peak District, Lake District and Snowdonia areas.
I gave up running when I was younger due to constant pain and when I 'got back in to it' in more recent years I remembered that I loved it so much... but this time there was no way I was giving up. So many runners I knew were getting injured and I was very aware that as my mileage increased, so did pain in certain parts of my body. I realised I needed to develop a more natural, minimal running style as the way I was running was causing me injury. That was when I discovered Chi Running and I've not looked back. I wouldn't say I have perfected my form (it's a life long study), but in April 2012 I trained for and ran the Yorkshire Three Peaks Race (24 miles, 3 mountains) successfully with no old injuries returning. I have run injury free since adopting the Chi Running technique, and have developed a relaxed, low effort running technique that increases my enjoyment of running. There is plenty more about me and my running on my blog.
I hold the Summer Mountain Leader Award and have over 20 years experience of sharing the outdoors with others. My intention is to use these qualifications to run self help workshops around the theme of holistic movement in the outdoors. I will teach you to run and walk in a way that will become a lifelong practice, bringing energy, health and peace to your life.
In June 2014 I was privelidged to assist Danny Dreyer, founder of Chi Running at his Level 1 and Level 2 London workshops. This was an exciting chance to work alongside Danny, catching up on technique ideas and thinking from the master himself, as Chi Running is a technique which is always developing as it continues to revolutionise the running of so many people.
- Certified Chi Running® Instructor
- Certified Chi Walking® Instructor
- UK Athletics Leadership in Running Fitness
- MLS (Summer) Mountain Leader Qualification
- BA Hons (QTS) Primary Education (Outdoor Studies and Environmental Science)
- Advanced Sports and Exercise Nutritional Advisor (professional diploma)
- Qualified Teacher
I have participated in over 50 races of different disciplines (Road, Trail, Fell, Cross Country, Orienteering, Mountain Marathon) and competed at local, regional and was even called on as a substitute once to run at national level (5k pb 18m38s 10k pb 39m18s).
Some running highlights
- Worksop Half Marathon 2015 - 1hr 27 mins
- Finisher on London Marathon 2015 (3hrs 17 mins)
- Finisher in the High Peak 40 mile challenge Ultra Marathon, Sept 2014
- Lifetime 10k and 5k pb achieved in 2014 and again in 2015 after developing advanced Chi Running techniques.
- Three Peaks Race 2012 (24 miles, 3 mountains) - 4hrs 37min
- Holme Moss Fell Race finisher 2011, 2012, 2014 (18 miles, 5000ft asc)
- 6th overall (1st pair) in Dark and White 'Mini Mountain Marathon' series 2012
- 5th overall in the Dark and White 'Mini Mountain Marathon' series 2011
Please keep in touch via my Blog, Facebook, Twitter and also sign up for my newsletter. If you use Linked In, I would be very happy to network with you. I also collect Chi Running and Walking stuff on Pinterest.